Monday, September 20, 2010

What I need to do to pass the CATW.

In order for me to pass the CATW test i need to:

-Improve my timing (Reading: 20 minutes, Pre-Writing: 10, Writing: 50, Revising: 10).
-Make sure that the essay has a clear thesis. 
-Write in an organized way (Intro, Body, Conclusion). 
-Summarize the passage (Without a summary you will fail).
-Make reference to the author's ideas by using quotations or paraphrasing.
-Expand on the ideas by using details and examples. 
-Learn to use the appropriate transitions to connect ideas. 
-Improve my punctuation.
-Know that there are only 15 kinds of sentences in English and only use those.
-Read a lot so I can enrich my ESL vocabulary and use the correct words in my response.

2 comments:

  1. Very ambitious! :-)

    Do you know what you want to work on first? Are there 1 to 3 things that you need to work on most?

    For vocabulary, maybe Freerice will help some; also, I'll be asking that you use 3 words from the reading (when we do readings) in your summary/response.

    I will also help with the pacing/timing when we take practice tests.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think one of the things that I need to learn first is summarizing, I didn't know a summary was necessary in order to pass the test, I thought it was more about what I think about the passages.

    Also my timing is very bad, I spend too much time thinking about what I am going to write and when I'm in the middle of the writing the time is up and I have to finish without a good conclusion. And about the punctuation, I sometimes don't know where to finish a sentence, If i should write a dot, a comma, colon or semicolon...

    ReplyDelete